Village of Hartland – Several area fire departments responded Sunday night, May 17, to a structure fire inside the garage of a home at 915 Manchester Court in the village of Hartland.
Interim Fire Chief Dave Dean said the call came in to his department at 5:56 p.m. and that the fire appeared to originate from a vehicle in the attached garage, which later spread to part of the home.
Reports from various firefighters at the scene described the vehicle as “engulfed” in flames and said there was “thick, black smoke” pouring out of the garage.
Dean said all the occupants of the home were evacuated safely before various fire crews performed a “transitional fire attack,” first battling the blaze from the outside, then inside the home.
Firefighters found a cat inside the residence, which was safely returned to the residents, Dean said. He added that the May 17 fire was the fourth he’s seen to start in a garage and spread into a home.
As a result, Dean urged residents to begin putting smoke detectors in their garages.
“I highly recommend all homeowners invest in a smoke or heat detector for their garage, preferably hard wired and tied in with the rest of the home,” he said. “This is not a requirement by code, but will be extremely beneficial in notifying occupants of a fire in their garage, which leads to faster notification for evacuation of residents and earlier dispatching of emergency apparatus, which offers faster fire suppression efforts from the fire department.”